Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Free money


How great is it when you put on your coat for the first time since last winter, only to discover you left a $5 bill in it? That's essentially free money. You just got paid to wear that coat.

Having an extremely optimistic attitude towards everything helps grasp this crazy "free money" logic
. I can actually develop free money out of almost any situation.

- Going to the bar: I'm planning on spending NT$ 2000 tonight. So when I wake up tomorrow with NT$ 400 in my pocket, it's actually as if I got paid to go out the previous night.

- Working overtime: I usually stay at school past 3:30 to plan lessons and whatnot. So when they decided to give me an extra class, that extra hourly pay was basically free. Money for nothing.

-Shopping: My school provides an apartment for all of it's employees. Compared to what most people pay for rent every month in Taiwan, I'm saving at least NT$ 10,000/month (over NT$ 150,000 since my arrival). Therefore, when I bought my NT$ 11,000 camera, I deemed it a "free camera."

My most recent jackpot of free money comes as a HUGE surprise. In my previous post I told you how my scooter had been towed and impounded. Given the fact that I don't have a Taiwan driver's license and, more importantly, the scooter is not registered in my name, my scooter was history.

I had written off NT$ 18,000. I'd accepted it.

So when somehow one of the teachers at school pulled a few strings, and I found myself at the impound lot (with one of my friend's driver's license) paying NT$ 700 to get my scooter back, I was pretty excited.

That's a free scooter. Essentially, I just earned NT$ 17,300 for doing nothing.

As backwards as the "free money" system seems, it can really be a moral booster. It's silly how easy it is you can trick yourself (i.e. setting your watch 5 minutes fast. You know it's fast, but it still gives you an extra kick in the ass). So next time you go out drinking, shopping, whatever, overestimate what you think you'll spend. Chances are you'll be walking out with some cash you weren't expecting.

When was the last time you earned some free money?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

can I have some of that free money since you have so much of it?? :)

Johnny said...

you can just as easily start earning your own free money.

Brendan said...

I have been saying I'm earning free money pretty much everyday I lifeguard or bartend