Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Animals, mostly


Here are the answers! If you didn't get a chance to guess yet, click here first.


Direct Translation / English

"oak mouse" / squirrel
"long neck deer" / giraffe
"cat head eagle" / owl
"river horse" / hippo
"wall tiger" / gecko
"hand machine" / cell phone
"cowboy pants" / jeans
"fairy palm" / cactus
"grreen flower vegetable" / broccoli
"outside covering" / jacket
"Beautiful Land/Country" /The U.S.A.

This is how I learned/memorized over 20 animal names in about 30 minutes!

*** UPDATED***

I love learning something and being able to use it or talk about it the next day. Today my students asked me why a "mermaid" is called a "mermaid." I went on to explain to them how English words come from all different languages, and even brought out how Chinese is just Chinese. This knowledge and awareness of language differences unfortunately will not make learning English any easier for my students, but I hope it can at least relieve the headache suffered from trying to figure out why "美人魚" is "mermaid" in English, and not "beautiful woman-fish."

4 comments:

KBiz said...

I got giraffe, jeans, broccoli, and USA correct.

What was water horse? elephant?

I guess I am ready to visit!!!

Johnny said...

i accidentally wrote water horse and river horse... it's really only river horse. elephant has it's own word.

Dad said...

I got giraffe and broccoli.

Brendan said...

hahaha just saw the answers