Saturday, May 7, 2011

Idle-Free Taipei

If you are a scooter driver, this is a rare opportunity. With the simple turn of a key, you are not only saving yourself money, but you are also taking a step towards a cleaner Taipei.


The next time you are stopped at a traffic light for more than 15 seconds,
do everybody a favor and turn off your scooter. People will look at you. Tell them what you are doing. They will follow you. 



If you turn off your scooter at red lights that are longer than 15 seconds...

You WILL save money.
You WILL pollute less.
You WILL improve the air quality in Taipei.

You WILL increase the lifespan of your scooter.






3 comments:

Mike Fagan said...

In your letter published by the Taipei Times today, you close with what seems a solicitation...

"If there is anything that can be done to help promote this cause, it would be greatly appreciated."

So here's a thought: the gist of the argument you make (turning off scooter engines at red lights) is simple and sensible and I am sympathetic to it. However, calling for it to be made into another goddamn law for the traffic cops to fine the proles with is not on. Even if it would work (which I doubt), creating a new law would be an irony - attempting to tackle an environmental externality by creating political externalities.

I advise you to put the argument in civil association terms, not Statist terms.

Best,
mike

Idle said...

I agree that civic association is better. It has been my goal to start at the bottom and work my way up, as in word of mouth and common sense vs. lobbying for a law.

As for the closing statement, that was more directed at the Taipei Times as a request to print the letter. There was actually one more sentence that read "Even if this is as far as my email gets, I will be happier knowing that 1 more person is aware of what's happening in Taipei."

You're right, and it is a shame that the meaning is a little bit skewed once that request is printed and being read by hundreds of people, rather than just one. Hopefully the overall meaning is not lost!

Thanks for reading!

mick spape said...

Hi, I would like to support you, I'm graphic designer in kaohsiung (This city is much more dirty as taipei).
You can find my contact information on my website.