Thursday, February 5, 2009

5 weeks!

In 35 days I will be somewhere between New York and Taiwan (I think I will be flying OVER the world, rather than AROUND it, through Alaska. Does anyone know if that's true?). I'm assuming the reality hasn't really hit me yet, as I'm not scared or nervous at all. Or perhaps the excitement is masking any other feelings. It might start being more real in the next few weeks when I am seeing people and saying goodbye for a very long time.

Update: I have a TEFL Certificate! This past weekend I had my final lesson plan practicum evaluation, which was good enough to earn me the cert. The class was very enlightening, but at times was very long and tedious (Sat & Sun, 9-5ish x 3 weeks). Anyhow, I feel much more prepared to teach now that I have learned the fundamentals of English from a different point of view. Putting yourself in the place of a language learner really brings to light a lot of quirks that English has. A few of my favorites:

"Do you know what a buck does to does?"
"With every number I read, my mind gets number and number."

Bear, fear, pear, clear... heard, beard...

Tricky stuff.
Things to do still: get a visitor's visa

Tallest building in the world in Taipei, Taiwan:
Taipei 101

No comments: