Sunday, October 31, 2010

This is awkward


I'll start off by easing the tension with a joke:

What do you say to a woman with 2 black eyes?
Nothing! She's already been told twice!

I'll continue by pointing out how, although that joke may earn a chuckle or two, there's nothing really funny about it, and it's pretty messed up. But, that's the way it goes. As long as there are sensitive issues, there will be politically incorrect jokes about them.

Where do we draw the line?

In Taipei's Mass Rapid Transit (the subway, aka "MRT"), a brand of handbags called "Porter" has rented a ton of advertising space. Each billboard shows a bag in a different color, along with a picture of something real with the corresponding color (A red bag shown with a red flower of a matching shade of red).

How about this color?



The photo quality is not great, but (updated photo) The color of the bag is meant to match the color of the bruise on that woman's face (a glossy blend of purples and blues). This giant advertisement hanging in one of the MRT's busiest transfer stations was enough to make me stop dead in my tracks and blink hard a few times to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

What is the message here? Who is the target audience? I've come up with a few scenarios and marketing slogan to help piece this mystery together.

If your husband beats you, guilt him into buying this color bag!

You can finally leave your house in STYLE after a good beating!

Hey baby, I got you a bag to match that bruise on your face.
What bruise?
WHACK!

You took my credit card shopping again?? How much was this bag? WHAT? I'm glad you like the color.

We're fine, don't worry. He just gets angry when he drinks. I know he loves me, though. See, look. He got me this bag. Really. He loves me. Really.


Why do I feel like feminists and women's rights groups should be bra-lessly picketing this advert?

4 comments:

mom said...

this is a bit scary - maybe I will reconsider my trip - or maybe you will just have to get me a different color bag....

amartxa said...

lol, I saw that at. . . . Zhongxiao Fuxing? W T F.

Great blog by the way.

-Aaris
http://globalpaarisite.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

there isn't a button on the bottom of your blog to describe this one... it's more of a "huh" button

Johnny said...

haha yeah it was at Zhongxiao Fuxing.