Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Spot the difference

One thing I'll always remember from sixth grade was my social studies teacher, Mrs. Diamond. She looked old enough to have witnessed the crossing of the Delaware river and she ran a tight ship. Especially when compared to the cool, new, young math teacher who was closer to my age than to most of her colleagues, Mrs. Diamond scared kids.


I remember that the summer before my sixth grade, she had just taken a trip to Egypt and told us all about it. Perhaps the most important thing I remember about Mrs. Diamond, though, was a banner made of about 10 pieces of A4 paper taped together that ran the length of the blackboard and read:

"Different doesn't mean better or worse. It just means different."

I feel like I'd be lying if I said that seeing that quote everyday for a year had some inspirational and positive impact on my life, but at the same time, I remember it quite vividly. Especially as foreigner living abroad, I try my best not to discriminate on difference alone, and I certainly teach an attitude of acceptance to my own students.

This semester I've started teaching a junior high reading class once a week. In addition to reading, I try with sisyphean effort to chat with them before and after class. While it is quite hard to get a 13 year old kid to have a friendly chat with his foreign language teacher, I finally found a subject that they will talk about: School, or as they like to say: Jail.

I often share stories about my life in middle school and high school to offer a starting block for a comparative conversation. The stories they tell me about school are indeed drastically different from that of a suburban middle-class Long Island boy, but remember:

Different doesn't mean better or worse. It just means different.

*  *  *
  • "What was the best thing that happened to you today?"
I asked this question and the most interesting response I got was "I did well on 2 of my tests." I probed and found out that the student had 5 tests that day. I probed further and found out that 5 tests in a day is just an average day (though this student was a 7th grader and the 8th graders claimed 5 tests is a light day for them).

On the subject of testing, currently, junior high students take placements tests to get into high school (although that is being phased out, and my 8th graders are the last ones to have to take this test).
  • "Kevin will be late today. His teacher kept their class after school." 
After my boss said this and left the room without any further explanation, I started asking the other kids about what could have possibly happened to make a student late for his English class that starts at 6:15 PM on Tuesday evening.

I started by reminiscing about my middle school years and memories of being "...out of school by 2:30 in the afternoon. If I didn't have sports practice, I was home by 3:00 and watched at least an hour of cartoons or TRL while eating a half a box of cereal. If I had a lot of homework, I usually wouldn't start until the evening, and personally probably never spent more than 90 minutes on homework in one day." 

I told this story to an audience of wide eyes and slack jaws, so I started asking questions.
What time do you get out of school?
"Depends on your teacher."
Huh? Don't you have bells that let you know when class is over?
"Yes, but the teachers don't pay attention to them."
When I was in school, we already had one foot out the door by the time the bell rang. Even if the teacher was in mid-sentence.
"Wow."
So what time are the teachers supposed to let you out?
"It depends on the teacher."
Aren't there rules? Don't the teachers have bosses?
"They support the teachers."
What time do you usually get out of school?
"It's always different."
So you actually never know what time your finished school.
"Right. It could be 5:30, or 6:30."
Wow. By 5:30 I would have had already polished off 3 bowls of cereal, the funny pages, the crossword (if it was Monday), and my daily movement. 
"It's like jail."

So that's the reason that A) I always have students late for my 6:15 class (which originally started at 6:00, but it was clear that the students would hardly ever make it on time), and B) Most of the students bring the most disgusting and unhealthy "dinners" to class because, McDonalds is not only the only thing between school and English class, but it's also the only thing they have time for (and even then, sometimes they come straight to class and my boss goes out and picks it up for them).

  • "What things do you hate as a punishment?"
This ranged from "can't play computer games" to writing things like "I will not blah blah blah" 100('s of) times, but the discussion turned towards punishment at school. One student started passionately telling me about a time when he was falsely convicted of cheating on a test. For the record, I would trust this student to take my yearly income in cash to the bank for me, and I could really see how upset he was about it. The  ensuing conversation was quite long because it involved him describing things which he didn't know the English for (quite effectively), so I'll just sum up what I learned:

For his cheating offense, he received 1 mark (which I equated to points against a driver license). In order to erase that mark from his permanent record, he needed to do 15 hours of some sort of community service at school, which involved anything from sweeping leaves, emptying garbage cans, cleaning bathrooms, etc. As it turns out, his 15 hours was the lowest of three levels of punishment (30 and 45 hours being the other two options). I asked what happened if someone didn't do the community service, and he told me that it follows you to high school (again with the placement test), and to the university level. Given the already competitive nature of Taiwanese schools, a bad mark from junior high is not something you want to possibly be the reason you didn't get into a good university.

I went on to explain "detention" to them, which is just staying after school for 1 hour in silence (meaning I would get home at 4:00 rather than 3:00 with my homework completed). 

  • "What did you do today?"
Some kids insist that nothing good or bad happened to them, so in order to get them to practice their English, I have them walk me through every step of their day. What time did you get up? What did you eat for lunch? So on and so forth until I feel like they've spoken their daily English quota. 

Here was the most interesting response as of late:

"My class practiced turning left and right."
Excuse me?

This girl's English isn't the best in the class, so I thought for sure their was some language misunderstanding, but by the end of the conversation, I realized that she said exactly what she meant: She practiced turning left and right. Allow me to paraphrase what I learned:

During P.E. class (which, mind you, stands for Physical Education), the students stand in line at attention (if you are thinking army drills, you're on the right track). The P.E. teacher then barks out orders, such as "turn left," "turn right," "salute," etc. for the duration of the class (40-45 minutes), and every day for a month (according to one student). Because I still couldn't wrap my mind around this, I stood up and told them all to be teachers and tell me what to do. Even before I got my first instruction, they told me I wasn't standing properly. Feet need to be pointing 45 degrees out, making a perfectly right-angled V shape (duck footed). "That's not a comfortable way to stand. It's completely unnatural," I complained to my teachers who didn't seem to care. "Turn right." I did it, incorrectly of course. The right way to turn right is to pivot on your right heel and move only your left foot, right? "How was that?" "Better. Now turn left. Salute. Turn right. Turn left. Hands behind your back. Stand up straight." 

They had a lot of fun ordering me around, so I decided not to tell them about my floor hockey, volleyball, and kickball P.E. class adventures.

*   *   *

My students think school is a sour mix between prison and army boot camp. My retrospective memories of school are void of substantial amounts of pressure. I see first-hand every day that these kids are burned out. They spend their evenings and weekends in extra classes, seemingly in place of the social life and fun that I had.

Throughout these stories, I think it's obvious which education system I'd prefer for myself if I had to do it all again. As a result of teaching in Taiwan, I often wonder if I'd ever subject my own offspring to this type of education. However, after taking a step back from this tendency to side with what I'm familiar with and what worked for me, I can't help but wonder: Is Mrs. Diamond right? In terms of educational systems, is there better or worse? Or do we just call them "different"?

As it stands, I'm trying to be objective. I realize that people from different areas are more or less privileged than others and have to put in different amounts of effort in order to get the same opportunities. What do you think?

***[Keep in mind that none of these stories were fact checked, so maybe the students exaggerated and/or lied. Kids are kids.]

3 comments:

Brendan said...

From a countries point of view the educational system there is better. Kids learn more, become smarter and so businesses thrive in international markets and the country becomes more powerful.

From the individuals standpoint, they aren't given a chance to learn who they are and what they like. They end school at approximately 21 years old and have only enjoyed themselves for a small fraction of their lives.

So I think that your teacher's phrase is nice, but doesn't hold any water. Different certainly can be better or worse, it just depends how much you bend your view of what you're looking at. Everything is give and take. With an educational system like Taiwan's, the kids lose any chance at independence, but end their schooling much smarter than most countries (including ours). So if you focus on the outcome for the Republic (<-is that right?), then different is better in this case. Focusing on any other aspect seems like it would always be worse. Staying the "same" which I'm saying as what we do in America, let's the parents decide how much they want to invest into their kids education (public or private) and then from there, either way the kid (with his families encouragement) can choose to become well educated and pursue a high profile job or if they want they can wing it or even drop out. Everyone's different and so I believe that as long as a person has a good role model, they should be able to choose which path they take.

With that being said, I'll say (in my opinion) Mrs. Diamond was a leftover hippie from the 70's in New Paltz.

Kids should be free to CHOOSE the high anxiety path that your students are forced down. And since everyone isn't taking that path, those kids will be rewarded more greatly for their hard work at the end of their studies.

Johnny said...

Without formally agreeing or disagreeing with what you are saying, I wonder what exactly you mean by “Kids learn more, become smarter…”.

As far as I can see, the students in Taiwan are trained test-takers and are experts at memorization of facts, formulas, and most importantly, the characters that make up their language. As in the case with any country, can you really judge anybody on their test scores? If you can, then yes, Taiwan’s education system is better than the United States’, based on statistics alone.

What about things like problem solving skills, social skills, and cooperation skills? These kinds of abstract things are much harder to test with a paper and pencil, but in my opinion, the foundations of the powerful country and the businesses that thrive that you mentioned in your opening paragraph. You said it yourself, “the kids lose any chance at independence,” which to me says that once they graduate from the highest level of schooling, they will be lost with a lot of knowledge and even more resentment towards educational institutions.

A long time ago I took a surfing lesson, and when I asked my instructor “How will I know the right wave to catch?” he replied, “You’ll just know.” To me, this meant I needed to keep trying and figure it out by myself through failure, while learning about and becoming aware of everything that’s happening in my environment. However, in my every day observations of Taiwanese people (students and adults), I come across situations where they can’t accept these kinds of vague answers that aren’t spelled out in black and white. They’ve learned that all the questions in life can be answered by either A, B, C, or D. Also, at the risk of stereotyping an entire country (which is not my intention), anybody that has walked, swum, driven, or taken any sort of public transportation in Taipei, knows that not everyone has learned to become aware of their environment. Does this type of person really make a smart CEO of an international business, or a responsible candidate to run a country?

You also mentioned that the “high anxiety students…will be rewarded more greatly for their hard work at the end of their studies,” which is a really vague statement. What is the reward? Happiness? Money? Recently, the mid-20s generation of Taiwanese are pissed because of these promises of the pot o’ gold at the end of the rainbow. How about how my working hours are a LOT less and my pay is probably more than my Taiwanese counterpart? In this case, my education was significantly less strenuous, yet I’m getting “rewarded” more.

Brendan said...

I like your point about "are they really becoming smarter?". Of course employees with social skills and problems solving skills are extremely important for any business. And seeing beyond the black and white in life is essential. Nice example btw!

The high anxiety students I was speaking about were students from an educational system like we have here. The reward would be success, however you define that. I simply mean that since everyone isn't forced to perform at the highest level possible, those who choose to will end up in the small percentage of people who have their PHDs or are MD's. Successful.

Your case is different. You may not have had a strenuous work load in your education, but you aren't being paid your extra salary for your grades or specific coursework. You are being paid well for 25 years of speaking a language. You have a unique skill that is in high demand in a sense. To compare yourself to your Taiwanese counterpart isn't a fair comparison because you have an advantage over them that doesn't relate to your educations.

However, the question seems to have been answered. Different can be better or worse. It just depends what your view is on the topic, whatever that is. Is picking the right letter (A, B, C or D) a better skill than being able to find the right wave on your own? It's all opinions and there can't be a definition to it. One is clearly different than the other, and depending on your goals, one will be better than the other.